World War Z

When people picture zombie apocalypses, they usually think of a tight knit crew of people in some bunker with food, water, and weapons to last a lifetime. World War Z is not that story. This novel focuses more on the science of a plague than the survival of a hero. That is what drew me to it. It is unique because it applies brutally realistic themes to an inherently abstract concept. This contrast causes the reader to feel immersed in the plot and better enjoy the story. I chose this book because these types of books genuinely interest me. Not necessarily horror novels, but post-apocalyptic tales that make you think differently about the world around you. It is about war, but a type of battle that no one can ever truly imagine. It is not fought country for country or party for party, but purely to survive and advance, our most human instincts. Over the course of a book like this, the reader can almost feel what the characters feel, their fear, despair, and misery.

One thought on “Outbreak

1. I hope that you are quite well on this Tuesday afternoon Tafara. Unfortunately, no others are reading Peter Pan, so I have chosen to comment on your blog post. This caught my attention because I saw the World War Z movie a few years ago when it came out and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I agree with your description of how the war is not fought for a country, but rather the human existence as we know it. Although I have never read the book, I can agree that I was able to feel the intensity of the plot while I was watching the movie, but that may have simply been because it was a movie that was intended to provoke that kind of emotion. I am intrigued in your novel and I hope to see more about what you have to say about it in the future.